• Competitive quotes from motor trade experts
  • Compare a range of quotes without the hassle
  • Coverage available for all motor trade jobs
Get Quotes
See More

If you work as a motor trader on a part-time basis, you won’t need cover as wide-ranging or as expensive as full-time motor trade cover. This is where part-time motor trade insurance comes in.

Whether you’re a car dealer buying and selling vehicles as a hobby, or working on cars on the side of your main job, part-time motor trade insurance can provide you with the cover you need at an affordable premium.

Cover can include road risks for buying, selling and test driving vehicles, as well as cover for premises and tools used in your work. It can also extend to cover goods in transit and liability to third parties.

What does part-time motor trade insurance cover?

It all depends on the specifics of your business and what cover you need. In general, you’ll be protected against damage to vehicles, tools and premises, as well as any liability claims made against you.

The common features include:

  • Road risk: cover for buying, selling and test driving vehicles
  • Premises cover: protection for your garage or workshop
  • Public liability: cover in case a third party makes a claim against you
  • Tools cover: protection for any tools used in your work
  • Goods in transit: insurance for vehicles transporting stock

But there are also specific add-ons available, such as cover for attending automotive events or exhibitions. It’s important to note that part-time motor trade insurance does not include employer’s liability, as this type of cover is only required if you have employees working for you regularly.

Mechanic looking under hood

It’s also important to remember that part-time motor trade insurance is different from standard car insurance. It provides cover for your business activities, rather than just the vehicle itself.

So, if you work on cars or buy and sell vehicles on a part-time basis, make sure you’re properly protected with part-time motor trade insurance. Our panel of expert brokers can advise you on the best level of cover for your part-time motor trading activities.

The types of businesses that could benefit from this type of cover include:

  • Car valeters
  • Vehicle breakdown and recovery operators
  • Part-time car sales
  • Mobile mechanics
  • Car body repair
  • Classic car restoration
Car salesman with customers

What is the difference between regular and part-time motor trade insurance?

Regular motor trade insurance is for full-time traders, and typically provides more extensive cover for a larger range of activities. Part-time cover is tailored to those who work on a part-time or occasional basis in the motor trade industry.


How can I keep the cost of my policy down?

There are a number of ways to keep the cost of your part-time motor trade insurance down, including:

  • Only opting for cover that you actually need for your business activities
  • Being realistic about the value of your stock and tools
  • Having security measures in place on your premises
  • Building up a no claims discount
  • Shopping around for quotes from different insurers
  • Working with an experienced broker who can advise on the most suitable level of cover for you.

What is the best way to get part-time motor trade insurance?

The best way to get part-time motor trade insurance is to work with a broker who has experience in this area and can advise on the most suitable cover for your business.

Fill out our contact form today and we’ll put you in contact with a panel of expert brokers, so you’ll be able to shop around and compare quotes from a range of insurers, ensuring you get the best deal.