• Multiple quotes from specialist brokers
  • Specialists in Catering Vans and Trailers
  • Burger Vans, Jiffy Trucks, Ice-Cream Vans plus many more vehicles covered
Get Quotes
See More

We Partner With

barry-grainger-insurance logo
Insurance protector logo
airsports-insurance bureau logo
cateringinsurance.co.uk logo
quotax-insurnace logo

Why QuoteSearcher for Catering Van Insurance?

Our panel of expert brokers are on hand to offer you competitive quotes. Running a catering van business can take you to a range of places – whether you have a regular spot, or you travel to festivals and events, you will experience a range of aspects that require you being fully covered with a dedicated, specialist insurance policy.

From ensuring quality with your food and drink on offer, maintaining good stock levels, and ensuring your customers are happy, there is a lot to think about when you own and operate a food catering van. Whatever you sell from your catering van, you have to make sure you have certain protection in place in order to be within the law, and ensure your business is profitable and runs smoothly.

Policy Benefits

Stock Insurance

Cover and replace stock, in the event of equipment failure or deterioration.

Legal Expenses

Covers cost of legal expenses in the event of a claim against you. Find out more about Legal Expenses coverage.

Personal Accident

Compensation for an injury which prevents you operating your business.

Business interruption

Compensates for loss of income due to an inability to trade. Find out more about Business interruption coverage.

Policy Features

​There are three types of policy that you should consider when taking catering van insurance, these include:

Third Party Only (TPO)

This covers you for claims made against you by a third party, covering their losses if there is an accident or injury that is your fault – you are legally obligated to have this as a minimum

Third Party, Fire & Theft (TPFT)

This will protect you against third party claims, as well as if your catering van is stolen or damaged by a fire

Fully Comprehensive

This type of policy covers you for all of the above, plus some other aspects that is not the result of a collision, such as vandalism

hamburgers to go at food market

Liability Cover

The options available for liability insurance are:

Products Liability

If a member of the public becomes ill or injured as a result of something you have sold from your catering van, you will need to be protected with a policy that includes products liability insurance. This is important for catering van businesses, regardless of what type of food or drink you sell; many people have allergies or aversions they may not initially make you aware of.

Public Liability

This type of liability insurance will pay out legal fees and compensation costs if a third party is injured by your vehicle or your business. This is advisable if you work with suppliers – if someone were to become ill from a burger sold from your van but contaminated from your source and a customer takes legal action, you would be liable without this type of policy.

Employers’ Liability

If you employ anyone to work for your business, whether full-time, part-time or volunteer, you must have employers’ liability insurance by law. If a member of staff injured themselves on cooking equipment, for example, this type of policy will pay medical, legal and compensation costs.

Types of Catering Van

We can help you find cover for a wide range of catering vans, no matter what kind of food and drink you offer.

Man serving ice cream from food van

  • Food van
  • Burger van
  • Kebab van
  • Ice cream van


    • Why do I need Catering Van Insurance?
      Working with food and the public presents a unique set of risks, and as the business owner you are at risk of public liability and compensation claims.

      Whatever the case, these sorts of problems can prove incredibly costly, and can have very serious financial implications especially for smaller catering businesses.

      Key types to consider:
      • Public Liability Insurance: Covers injury or damage claims from your catering activities.
      • Product Liability Insurance: For claims related to food-related illness or injury.
      • Employers' Liability Insurance: Mandatory for employee coverage against work-related illness or injury claims.
      • Equipment and Stock Insurance: Protects catering equipment and food stock.
      • Goods in Transit Insurance: For transporting food and equipment.
      • Business Interruption Insurance: Helps cover lost income during business downtime post an insured event.
    • What is Catering Van Insurance?
      A specific insurance policy designed to provide catering van owners with all the protection they need, in case of an accident or a compensation claim being launched against them.

      Some of the main features are public liability, employers' liability, and vehicle repair.
    • What insurance do I need for a catering van?
      When starting a catering business, insurance is a must. It's important to make sure your business is properly covered in the case of an accident or other unforeseen events. The types of insurance you need depends on the type of business you're running and the risks associated with it.

      For a catering van business, you should consider several types of insurance. Public liability insurance covers third-party claims for injury or property damage resulting from your business activities and employer's liability insurance can cover you in the event of an employee getting hurt or falling ill while working for you.
    • How much is catering van insurance in the UK?
      When you are running your own catering van business, it is important to consider the costs of insurance. In the UK, catering van insurance typically costs around £800 to over £2,000 a year. The cost of your insurance policy will depend on several factors including the value of your catering van, the type of catering business you are running and where you are located.
    • What insurance do you need for a coffee van?
      Operating a coffee van requires specific types of insurance to cover both the vehicle itself and the business operations:
      • Van Insurance: Similar to regular car insurance, but for commercial vehicles, this is legally required to operate on the roads.
      • Public Liability Insurance: To protect against claims if someone is injured or their property is damaged because of your business activities.
      • Product Liability Insurance: Protection against claims related to issues with the coffee and food items you serve.
      • Stock Insurance: Covers any stock, like coffee beans and pastries, against loss or damage.
      • Equipment Insurance: To protect the equipment within your van like your coffee machine and grinders.

      Additional coverages like employers' liability insurance may be necessary if you employ staff, and business interruption insurance can cover lost income during unforeseen closures.
    • What is a CP44?
      A CP44 is a certificate required for catering with gas appliances in the UK. It's a Gas Safety Certificate confirming that your appliances are checked and meet safety standards. It must be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer after inspecting and testing your appliances. Having a valid CP44 is crucial for health and safety compliance, insurance validity, and reassuring clients and event organisers about safety standards. Remember to renew the CP44 annually for ongoing compliance with gas safety regulations.

I was very impressed with the speed in which QuoteSearcher’s partners got back to me. After completing the online form I was delighted with the quotes I received and was happy to sort out my insurance quickly.

Matt Dyer – Sunderland, Tyne and Wear

After searching for hours on the internet I finally came across QuoteSearcher whose partners provided me with excellent quotes far better than I had received from anyone else.

Neil Heron - Virginia Water, Surrey